question on booting from mmc

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 04:17:50PM -0700, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > jffs runs directly on raw NAND flash so it must do such things. SD cards
> > however are normal block devices and my understanding is that they do
> > same or similar wear levelling when writing blocks.

More to the point, SD cards don't give you access raw NAND flash so
you couldn't even use jffs2; it's not technically possible.  (Go ahead
and try!  :-)

> Real question I can see at this point is which FS has the smallest
> journal and the fastest response on solid state media.  BTW the #1
> reason I've lost data on ext3 systems was due to automagic fsck.
> Admittedly those systems were primarily Fedora Core2 or RHEL3.  Ext3
> may have improved since them but I'm still shy.

<Shrug> That hasn't been my experience, nor of most people I've talked
to.  Note that if you are losing data due to the automagic fsck,
that's just probably when you are discovering it, not when the damage
actually happened.  My guess is that you are running your ext3 systems
on flaky hardware, but that's just a guess.

					- Ted