Status of SyncEvolution and PIM applications

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 11:22 -0500, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> I recently documented the process of syncing GPE (a very well-rounded,
> stable PIM suite) on the N800 with Evolution on the PC, step by step.
> (I had searched around and found no such specific instructions
> beforehand.)  It requires no compilation (in most cases), no use of
> Scratchbox (in all cases), and can be done without using R&D mode,
> AFAIK, so it is a good "end-user" solution.  The daily syncs are also
> handled through a GUI!
>
> The link to the instructions is:
> http://cleardefinition.com/page/Sync_Evolution_and_GPE_on_N800/
>
> There are a few minor issues with the setup, which I have documented on
> that page and plan to report to the projects soon as soon as I can tell
> which bugs go to which projects :D  You probably could try it out in
> Scratchbox (using, for instance, the INdT Maemo VMWare Appliance for
> ease of installation), but the risk to your device is very low.
>
> Hope this helps!  If you find any parts of that tutorial that need
> corrections, or if you notice additional issues with the system, please
> let me know and file a bug with the upstream projects, if applicable.
> Thanks!

Hi Ryan!
Thanks again for taking this on. This really helps me. On to the
peculiarities of my system, opensuse 10.2. Under the heading:

Set up passwordless logon to N800 SSH
<snip>
3. Let's test to make sure this works. Run ssh user at 10.0.0.30 - it
should log you on and give you a busybox prompt without asking for a
password. If this worked, you're golden, move on. If not, well, I'm not
sure what the deal is. Make sure /home/user/.ssh/ exists on the n800,
maybe.

I had to create the directory /home/user/.ssh and I think (yeah, I know)
the file /home/user/.ssh/id_dsa.pub with vi.

Under the heading:
Prerequisites For Sync Setup:

I'm getting the necessary files from the repository here
<http://software.opensuse.org/download/OpenSync:/OpenSync-0.2x/openSUSE_10.2/>. This was linked from <http://www.opensync.org/wiki/download> which has links for several prebuilt distros as well as several other things. I'm currently gathering the correct files as you listed. I wanted to get completely through the process before I answered, but this might help someone in my situation.

	Thanks Florian, Graham, Ryan, Nils, and all the other developers!

--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>
http://petertheplumber.net