Status of SyncEvolution and PIM applications

I recently documented the process of syncing GPE (a very well-rounded,
stable PIM suite) on the N800 with Evolution on the PC, step by step.
(I had searched around and found no such specific instructions
beforehand.)  It requires no compilation (in most cases), no use of
Scratchbox (in all cases), and can be done without using R&D mode,
AFAIK, so it is a good "end-user" solution.  The daily syncs are also
handled through a GUI!

The link to the instructions is:
http://cleardefinition.com/page/Sync_Evolution_and_GPE_on_N800/

There are a few minor issues with the setup, which I have documented on
that page and plan to report to the projects soon as soon as I can tell
which bugs go to which projects :D  You probably could try it out in
Scratchbox (using, for instance, the INdT Maemo VMWare Appliance for
ease of installation), but the risk to your device is very low.

Hope this helps!  If you find any parts of that tutorial that need
corrections, or if you notice additional issues with the system, please
let me know and file a bug with the upstream projects, if applicable.
Thanks!

Ryan

Lars Persson Fink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to replace my Palm which I heavily depend on and I am thinking of
> buying a N800 (I am also a long time Linux user). Currently I
> synchronize my Palm, mobile phone and my Evolution with ScheduleWorld
> using SyncML.
>
> I have been trying to find a summary of the status of different PIM
> solutions for the N800 but have not found any.
>
> What I would like to know is:
>
> 1. What are the different PIM solutions available?
> 2. What synchronization possibilities are available for them? What is
> their respective status?
> 3. Is there a N800 "simulation"-environment (VMWare for instance) where
> I could test it out OR can I install the N800-environment on my
> Ubuntu-laptop to test them?
>
> Best regards,
> Lars Persson Fink

Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com
AbiWord Community Outreach Project: www.cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/blog/

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide