weird? problem with memory reporting after firmware upgrade

After reflashing I install my usual 1st class apps: ror, metasploit,
geomapper?, solitaire, j2me, osgi, claws and a few network utils not
with firmware.

My memory usage was at 70% after loading all this stuff per control
panel. I recalled thinking this was good as I had put damn near
everything I wanted and still had breathing room.

I check this morning memory settings and I see I'm at 27% usage?!?

Something weird appears to be going on...also it would appear memory
stats/totals don't add up.

Anybody else seeing this or is my math bad (or I'm otherwuise consfused).

I did NOT restore backup after firmware upgrade and only use mmc1 for
backups and mmc2 for music/videos.

thanks in advance,

mike