The new N800 firmware (2007SE_4.2007.26-8)

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 13:22 +0300, ext Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Now going through my checklist[4] and reinstalling all the apps.
>
>   [4] http://mg.pov.lt/770/reflash-n800.html

You might want to look at another upgrade recipe:
http://internet-tablet.com/software/kak-obnovitsya-chtobyi-potom-ne-byilo-muchitelno-bolno-pereustanavlivat-ves-nakoplennyiy-tyazhkimi-trudami-soft/#more-123

It introduces pretty smart method of automatic aplications reinstallation.

It's written in Russian. Below is my poor translation (I hope author wouldn't mind).

<translation>

How to get upgraded without having PITA reinstalling all your so hard collected software.
by dik

How I've got upgraded:

1. Went to Control Panel/Backup and made full backup.
2. Copied some files(in particular Maemopad+ database) which were in root directory for some reason to my mmc1 card.
3. Saved list of installed applications to the mmc1 card by running dpkg ?get-selections > /media/mmc1/soft.txt
4. Flashed new firmware (flashing guide is here: http://internet-tablet.com/main/pereproshivaem-n800-ustanavlivaem-os-2007/)
5. During first boot Installation Wizard recognized backup on my card and proposed to restore it. I couldn't refuse that :)
6. Install xterm(http://maemo-hackers.org/osso-xterm.install) and becomeroot(http://eko.one.pl/maemo/dists/bora/user/binary-armel/becomeroot_0.1-2_armel.deb)
7. Open xterm window, become root: $sudo gainroot and change default root password: #passwd
8. Get our saved list of installed software from the place we put it before: #dpkg ?set-selections < /media/mmc1/soft.txt
9. Upgrade according to the selected list: #apt-get dselect-upgrade
10.Application manager displays list of packages to upgrade and asks for my permission: Yes!
11.Packages got loaded in a couple of minutes and installation begins.
   Sometimes licence agreement windows pop up. I agree :)
12.When application installer finished its work (no error messages!) I looked at the menu - all software have been installed successfully except of that which was installed not from repositories.

Everything went smoothly in my case. I wish you the same. Here is my /etc/apt/sources.list:

#maemo:name Nokia Catalogue
#maemo:essential
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/ bora user
#maemo:name Nokia Catalogue (3rd party software)
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified/ bora user
#maemo:name extras
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras bora free non-free
#maemo:name base-repository
deb http://repository.maemo.org bora free non-free
#maemo:name mg
deb http://mg.pov.lt/770 bora user other
#maemo:name FBReader repository
deb http://www.fbreader.org/maemo bora user
#maemo:name GPE Todo
deb http://downloads.kernelconcepts.de/maemo3 bora free
#maemo:name Screen grabber
deb http://tuomas.kulve.fi/debian bora maemo
#maemo:name Claws-mail
deb http://www.claws-mail.org/maemo bora user
#maemo:name Minimo
deb http://home.ufam.edu.br/~agan/minimo/ bora user
#maemo:name Canola
deb http://openbossa.indt.org.br/canola/repository-beta2/bora bora user
#maemo:name Xournal
deb http://www.bgran.net/etrunko/apt mistral user
#maemo:name Minimo
deb http://www.maemo.org.br/minimo/ bora user
#maemo:name maemo-hackers
deb http://maemo-hackers.org/apt bora main

Obviously packages installed not from the repositories nor with .install files can't be reinstalled this way.
I would have to save them somewhere before installation.

</translation>

Disclaimer: I translated this document in my free time. This is not related to my job in Nokia.

--
Ed Bartosh <eduard.bartosh at nokia.com>
Nokia-M/Helsinki