Fwd: Skype on N800

randall.arnold at nokia.com wrote:
> Nice info Eric, thanks.
>
> Open question to N800 program folks: what is so wrong about providing more communications to the community about updates?  Lot of owners being very patient about Skype and OS releases, but irritated about the silence.  Can't we at least provide SOMEthing to them???  They know Finland started mass vacation and so they're disappointed nothing came out today...
>
> Randall (Randy) Arnold
> Quality Feedback Analyst
> Nokia-CMO/Dallas

Nokia - please listen to Randall! His view is representative of many of your users.

It's apparent that Nokia have no issues communicating "good" news but seem to be far less forthcoming when "bad" news needs to be disseminated to the community. On several occasions Nokia have not bothered to communicate the bad news at all (eg. where the heck is the N800 case - just tell us if it's cancelled, or merely delayed[1]) or you have forced the community to beg/demand information updates (eg. future 770 development).

If Skype is delayed beyond H1 (which it almost certainly will be unless it's delivered Saturday) please let us know if/when it's expected. We'd much rather have this update than be kept in the dark. Think of it like when you are waiting for a train that is running late - it's much better to have an announcement informing you the train is going to be 5 minutes late than to be kept in the dark and told nothing at all!

The secrecy surrounding firmware releases and future OS updates is utterly ridiculous and undermines the whole Maemo/Internet Tablet effort - it's not necessary, adds to the overall user confusion and frustration, and ultimately helps nobody.

Nokia: you're a communications company. Communicate, communicate and communicate!

1. http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=144920