Updating Navicore maps from Linux?

On 25/06/07, Klaasjan Brand <klaasjan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/25/07, Michael Thompson < michaelnt at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Hi,
> >     Bit surprised to see that Windows may be needed to change the maps loaded onto the Memory card? Anyone found a way around that?
>

> I don't know for sure (it's been a while since I last looked on my Navicore DVD)>, but aren't the maps in the same format on the DVD as they are on the MMC >card? In that case the windows tool is just a front-end for the file copy action, snip

 On the DVD the maps are stored as cab files and on the MMC card these
maps seem to be dirs. Turns out you can use cabextract -d /tmp
Italy.cab and then copy to mapdata_Italy on the card. Seems the
current region is called just mapdata.

Trying to use  update.navicore.com requires you to download a windows binary :(