incremental backups for your device with rdiff-backup

On Thursday 07 June 2007 05:08:56 hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 11:32:26AM +0300, Ed Bartosh wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 18:35 -0400, ext maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org
wrote:
> > > Just wondering -- is aptitude available on maemo?  Is the Application
> > > Manager perhaps a different UI for aptitude??
> >
> > AFIK it's not.
> >
> > You might wanted to say that Application Manager is different UI for
> > apt?
> > Yes it is.
>
> Trust me to ask the worng, but obvious question.
>
> The big thing that aptitude does that apt and its friends don't is keep
> track of dependencies between installed packages -- so that wien you
> uninstall a package, other packages that it depends on (and aren't
> needed for another purpose) are automatically uninstalled as well.  It
> has a data base of its own in which it remembers which packages were
> explicitly requested and which are just dependencies.
>
> And the big problem with aptitude is that if you use apt as well as
> aptitude, apt never puts the packages apt installed into its data base
> as being explicitly requested -- so on various occasions it discovers
> they are no longer needed and so proposes to remove them.
>
> Does the Application manager do these things too?
>
> -- hendrik

if you use apt-get remove and apt-get autoremove that also works.
Since that is actually what aptitude runs.  Personally I never like aptitudes
way of removing since it was a little too behind the back for me.   I also
don't like how aptitude doesn't use the dpkg database correctly.

James