incremental backups for your device with rdiff-backup

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 11:32:26AM +0300, Ed Bartosh wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 18:35 -0400, ext maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org wrote:
> >
> > Just wondering -- is aptitude available on maemo?  Is the Application
> > Manager perhaps a different UI for aptitude??
> >
> AFIK it's not.
>
> You might wanted to say that Application Manager is different UI for
> apt?
> Yes it is.

Trust me to ask the worng, but obvious question.

The big thing that aptitude does that apt and its friends don't is keep
track of dependencies between installed packages -- so that wien you
uninstall a package, other packages that it depends on (and aren't
needed for another purpose) are automatically uninstalled as well.  It
has a data base of its own in which it remembers which packages were
explicitly requested and which are just dependencies.

And the big problem with aptitude is that if you use apt as well as
aptitude, apt never puts the packages apt installed into its data base
as being explicitly requested -- so on various occasions it discovers
they are no longer needed and so proposes to remove them.

Does the Application manager do these things too?

-- hendrik