Stability of the maemo platform

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:03:50PM +0200, Anders Rune Jensen wrote:
> I'm the happy owner of a n770 and have been using it for a couple of
> months now. One thing that came as a big shock to me at first was how
> unstable the device was.

Same.

> I've had random reboots and also programs
> crashing randomly (mostly opera and navicore). I've been running linux
> for a long time on my machine at home and has never had this kind of
> instability. I was wondering if it had improved drastically with the
> n800.

You could say that.  The stability still does not match that of desktop
Linux, but it's much better than it used to be with the 770.  Used to be
I had two unscheduled reboots per week, now there's hardly one a month.
And even then it's usually when I'm asking for it -- e.g. downloading
100 megs of Google Maps into an SD card.

The desktop sometimes crashes, but this doesn't cause a reboot any more
-- the desktop just restarts.

Here are the stats from the lifeguard:

  ~ $ cat /var/lib/dsme/stats/lifeguard_resets
  /usr/sbin/dsp_dld -p --disable-restart -c /lib/dsp/dsp_dld_avs.conf :  5 *
  ~ $ cat /var/lib/dsme/stats/lifeguard_restarts
  /usr/bin/maemo_af_desktop  :  7 *
  /usr/bin/esd :  16
  /usr/bin/osso_hss  :  16
  /usr/bin/ias :  16
  /usr/sbin/dsp_dld -p --disable-restart -c /lib/dsp/dsp_dld_avs.conf :  26
  /usr/bin/osso-media-server  :  2
  ~ $ cat /var/lib/dsme/stats/sw_rst
  3

I'm not sure how to reconcile the 5 dsp_dld resets with only 3 software
restarts, but this is much, *much* better than I had on the 770 with
resets counted in the tens.

> As far as I remember, one of the main reasons for the instability
> was the low memory on the n770. This has doubled in the n800 so that
> might help.

I've installed load-applet very early on and I always keep an eye on the
memory meter.  If the RAM usage rises above 3 bars out of 4, I close
some application.  As a result I'm pretty confident none of the crashes
I've experienced were caused by memory shortage.

Cheers,
Marius Gedminas
--
Include me out.