Choice of Programming Languages

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:53:40AM +0100, Alan Williamson wrote:
> Good morning fellow N800'ers.
>
> I was wondering what my choices where for writing applications on the
> N800 was.   Being a hard core Java junkie I am fully aware my avenue is
> cut off here.  So what are my other options?

If you're looking for a language whose implementation *might* be
portable to the N800, you might want to look at smarteiffel.  It's a
strongly-typed, secure language with garbage collector, and it compiles
down to C, which gets further conmpiled down to whatever the local
machine code is.  The developers seem to have gone to a lot of trouble
to make sure the generated C code is portable -- presumably because they
don't want to have to maintain different versions for different
architectures.  It's not a good language for people who like debugging,
since having a program run the first time it compiles cleanly is
moderately common.

-- hendrik