N800 satellite/terrestrial/wimax demos at NAB 2007

Well the solution for this type of system requires multiple parts. First you
require content, then you require a system to manage and encapsulate it into
the satellite/wimax/terrestrial transmission system (those that don't have
direct IP input and no backchannels). Last you require an edge device. And
what you do from there really depends on the customer. We have a lot of
these devices deployed worldwide (at teleports, tv stations, pay tv
operators, etc.). But most don't use them with the intent of delivering
content to a handheld device like the N800 (simply because there is either
no demand, no understanding of how to create demand, or the only required
platform is a set top box). Very few operators deploy a complete end to end
system for delivering data content in this way. Probably because of the
complexities of trying to enforce content protection along such a chain...
but they are having to change their business models regardless thanks to the
likes of bittorrent et al.

Anyway the demo is to show the N800 as a client-based Wifi device which can
browse data on an edge receiver, and also directly receive and decode
content streams that are routed onto the wifi network by the edge receiver
(which may also re-route via e.g. wimax - except that the N800 has no wimax
capability). The input to the edge receiver is satellite or other MAN or
larger scale type multipoint distribution mechanisms.

Hope that helps..

Cheers
Kon