VNC

On Friday 13 April 2007 06:21:28 Jim Avery wrote:
> On 02/04/07, Willie McKemie <mckemie+maemo at spamcop.net> wrote:
> > Has anyone had any luck using the 800 VNC viewer on a Ubuntu server?
> > I've tried both Ubuntu 6.10 and 7.04 and can only get "could not
> > connect to server".  On the 7.04, I tried both the vncserver and
> > vnc4server packages.
> >
> > The repository for doom that is pointed to from downloads.maemo.org
> > seems not to be working correctly.  Anyone know another source of doom
> > for OS2007?
>
> To get vnc4server working on Ubuntu, I installed Xubuntu on top (to
> get the xfce window manager) then followed the instructions here:
>
> http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2006/12/xubuntu-remote-desktop-with-vnc4serv
>er.html
>
> but found I also had to downgrade xvnc4server like so:
>
> http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/02/edgy-and-feisty-vnc4server-still-not
>.html
>
> Works fine with my n770.  Can't say if it would on the n800.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim

I use VNC all the time to connect to Ubuntu/Kubuntu RHEL SuSE and WinXP (even
via a vpn) It works without effort for me.  In an xterm on the remote box
do....

vncxerver -depth 16 -geometry 800x348

that starts a session with a window/desktop the size of my 770 screen ( minux
the hildon area's)

then I do (from the Nokia using xterm so I can watch for errors)

vncviewer [ip or FQDN of remote box]:1 (your desktop number may vary it will
tell you what number to use read the xterm output)

enter the password when asked and connect.  On windows you have to click icons
and fuss with gui's so it's a bit longer to connect and it is always :0   It
works with any WM around.

James

--
  (o_