kind of off-topic, but not completely: some questions about the N800

On 03/04/07, andrei raevsky <raevsky.andrei at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> Thanks for all your suggestions.  Looks like this list was the correct one
> to submit questions to :-)
>
> A couple of small follow-up, if I may:
>
> 1) updating the firmware: I have been using only GNU/Linux since 2000
> (mostly Debian).  I could try to find somebody with W2k or XP, but is there
> no GNU version of the software update at Nokia?!  Surely this Debian-based
> unit has a Debian-based updating option?

Yep check downloads section of maemo for linux based flash utility
> Also - since  don't suppose
> 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' would work - why can't the 'check
> for updates' option of the application manager now allow a complete firmware
> update?  Is it in the ROM?

Nokia plan to add apt-get dist-upgrade support and have discussed
adding a meta package

> 2) batteries: just to see if I got this one right - I can leave the unit
> permanently connected to the charger and the batteries will be ok?

I think so if left charging the device runs off the charger leaving
the battery alone. It's a smart charger so it should do the right
thing.

> 3) metalayer-crawler0: how do I disable this and could I simply let the unit
> sit for 5 minutes after boot-up instead?

This process scans the card indexing the media it finds so it can take
a little time if there is a lot of files, or a broken file, supposed
to have been improved in the latest firmware release.

> 6) system crashes: how does one reinstall/fix a N800 unit after a major
> crash?  Assuming that I - as roo  - do something I should not, or that by
> installing the wrong software I really screw-up my tablet terminally.  How
> can I rescue/reinstall it? Is there a way to bootup the unit in CLI to fix
> any X/GUI problems?

reflash