Offline installation of applications

Quick question: does the application manager require a internet connection?
I was trying to install the VIM which I had previously saved on my SD card
at home. I currently have no WIFI connection but internet and have just
flashed the newer OS version. But whenever I try to install VIM "from
file..." it gives me the dialogue "connecting..." and of course never finds
something. When I cancel I just get the "Unable to refresh list." dialog and
that's it! Any ideas?

Cheers,
hinrich   d8-)