D-BUS applications for Bluetooth connectivity

Hi,

On 3/16/07, Meenakshi Seeballack <meena2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So code-wise:
> - establish a bluetooth connection (via dbus?) I am unsure of how to use
> dbus to establish a bluetooth connection.

Why would you want to use bluetooth via dbus? AFAIK, dbus is an IPC
mechanism... if you want to send data over BT, have a look at the
BlueZ project (http://www.bluez.org/)

> I have just come across this API at
> https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/connectivity/osso-gwconnect/trunk/README

I'm also very new to DBus but looking at the above URL, I suppose
these messages are used to notify the UI/user/other apps on the device
that a BT connection is active & which device is being connected to,
etc. But if you want to send data across a BT connection, I think DBus
would be of little help... BlueZ should do for you. Yes, you can
determine the connection status, etc (other BT related messages) by
listening for BT related messages on the session Bus.

> . My IDE is Eclipse and I am programming in C (although I have not
> programmed in C before; only in Java and C#)

Also, as the Bluez website mentions (http://www.bluez.org/maemo.html)
support for Maemo is on the way. You can probably get in touch with
the developers to check the project status & also inquire if C#
bindings exist for BlueZ project.

Good luck,
Makuchaku
http://www.makuchaku.info/blog