problem starting n800

On 3/6/07, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen at nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Michael Thompson wrote:
> >      > When i turn on my n800 the progress bar doesn't come up and it never
> >      > starts. If i remove one of sd cards then it starts.
> >      >
> >      > AFTer it booted i typed dmesg in the terminal
> >      >
> >      > [  120.663482] JFFS2 warning: (1153) jffs2_sum_write_sumnode: Not
> >      > enough space for summary, padsize = -1452
> >      > [  123.296722] JFFS2 warning: (1153) jffs2_sum_write_sumnode: Not
> >      > enough space for summary, padsize = -822
> >
> >     These should AFAIK be harmless.
> >
> >      > If i re-insert the card once the n800 is running the card seems fine
> >      > and has plenty of free space.
> >      >
> >      > Any ideas?
> >
> >     What extra software you've installed to the device?
> >
> > streamer
> > canola
> > mapper
> > terminal
> > sudoku
> > vnc
> > mplayer gpe calendar
> > nmap
> > xgalaga
> > erminig
>
> AFAIK similarly to the builtin crawler, Canola is also using inotify on
> the memory cards, so that could be triggering the bug on startup too
> (by starting to go through the card contents when the bootup process
> mounts it).

Canola does use gnomevfs (i don't know if it uses inotify internally).

BUT, canola triggers a consistency check after boot, since MMC card
may be inexistent or changed. If things are still the same, it'll be
just a bunch of stat() calls (one per file), not that slow.

I see he has Mapper installed. By default, Mapper recommends
/media/mmc1/Maps to store downloaded files and Canola ships with
/media/mmc1 as media storage. This will make Canola scans every Map it
found, since maps are small JPEG, it stat(), open() and parse it...
:-/     You can remove /media/mmc1 from Canola and add more
specialized folders, like /media/mmc1/Music (if you have that).

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Jabber: barbieri at gmail.com
   MSN: barbieri at gmail.com