N800 and USB host mode

Has anybody played around with trying to get the N800 to support USB
host mode? Yes, I know that this won't work without a modified USB hub
to inject +5V onto the USB port.

The reason I ask is that I was planning on trying to port a program
over, and I'd really like to have USB host mode support for the program
(GMFSK, a program for amateur radio operators to do digital signaling
over HF, and I really need both an extra USB audio device and a USB
serial device to get the maximum benefit out of the program.)

At first glance, it looks like building the kernel with the OMAP OTG
support might just work, but I was curious is anybody else had tried this.