Google Calendar and Other Things

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:17:41PM -0500, Jonathan Greene wrote:
> Since I do not activel use windows, outlook is from a priority for me,
> but I wold certainly welcome two-way sync with standards based support.
>
> As far as the other app requests go, I miss quite a bit frm my palm days
> but appreciate what we currently have on the tablet.  While it's called
> an internet tablet, it's really far more of a computer than viewer for
> online content and should have more apps that enable mobile (including
> offline) access.  Otherwise I believe the tablet will remain a niche
> gadget.

I too miss many of these programs.  Would it be fair to assume the goal of the Internet Tablet is to make use of the many Internet "Web 2.0" applications available out there to perform these tasks?   I am thinking of sites like 30boxes (the mobile version, m.30boxes.com works quite well) for calendar and todo; Google docs for office apps, mvelopes for finance, etc etc.
The problem with these solutions, of course, is that my tablet is not always online, and cannot run all those apps.  Of course, as wifi, the tablet, and those sites improve, that may change.

In the meantime, I have begun to move all my data to plain text type data.  Next will be to port or write the programs to deal with it on the tablet.  I would love GPE Calendar if it sync'd with all my various apps and computers, but I will stick with the command-line remind since it /does/ work everrywherre I want to be and rsync/unison/subversion exist to sync those files already.

My solution is probably not for the faint of heart, but it is the only really viable one I see right now.

Still, I love my tablet  :)

Kevin

--
In Vino Veritas