From: maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org
[mailto:maemo-users-bounces at maemo.org] On Behalf Of Dr.Nicholas Shaw
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 9:00 AM
To: maemo-users at maemo.org
Subject: Google Calendar and Other Things

I tested out Google Calendar and have concluded that it isn't acceptable
for what I do.  Synching with
Google Calendar is fine; however, to update Google Calendar with Outlook
is a pain in the butt.  My
schedules change often and I have several meetings in a day.  Thus,
constantly exporting my Outlook
calendar then importing it into Google is inefficient and tiring (are
you listening Nokia?).

I applaud the work everyone is doing to make Google Calendar work and am
sure, for many, this is a good
solution.  For many others, it isn't.  What is needed is (many others
have said this already but I'm
frustrated so am saying it again) a "reasonably" effective PIM that
allows for automated synching between
popular packages such as Outlook.  I also applaud the excellent work the
rest of the open source
community is doing to get maemo-centric applications out.  What we need
though are commercial
applications such as:

 - A good password protection program.  An excellent program for the
Palm (not available on Windows) is
Passwords Plus by DataViz.
 - A small database that allows the user to create databases on the fly.
I actually have 10.  I have one
for my books (so I don't duplicate a book I already have), movies,
vehicle maintenance, windchill
factors, etc.  Again, an excellent program that is available for both
Palm and Windows (may be available
for other OS') is MobileDB by Handmark (handmark.com).
 - An expense program.  I found that Expense-n-Go (budgetprogram.com) is
excellent for the Palm and
allows for easily changing the mileage rate.  Even a simplistic program
that comes with the Palm would be
preferable to nothing.
 - A checklist program similar to Checklist by Handmark (actually, they
just market the product).  Since
I often travel around the world, I have travel checklists for the US and
overseas. This program is much
better and efficient than creating databases.  Some of my checklists
have over 100 items.
 - Gas mileage program that allows for multiple vehicles to be tracked.
 - A good world clock with at least three timezones.
 - A real backup program (I applaud Nokia providing something).
 - A conversion program such as 1-2 Convert that allows, for example,
conversions between distances,
weights, monetary values, etc.

I don't expect Nokia to provide any of the "such as" programs.  I've
written to the companies asking them
to port their applications over and I'd be willing to test them out.  I
think if more commercial
applications become available for the N770 and N800, their popularity
will dramatically increase.  I also
know that an open source program is being developed that will handle
password protection.  The sooner
such programs become available, the quicker more business people will
use them.  While I'm actually a
scientist, I depend upon these tools and until something comparable is
available for the N800, I still
have to carry a Palm as well.

I know that many of you also have programs you use day-to-day.  Perhaps
Nokia can help work with
convincing commercial vendors to port their applications.  Nokia, if
you're working these, perhaps you
could post applications being considered or negotiated (if you're not
bound by NDA).

The potential of the N800 goes (as has been said by many long before me)
far beyond a mere Internet
Tablet.  As has been noted in reveiws of both the N770 and N800, the
tablets are excellent at Internet
but few users will be willing to carry around Palm devices, cell phones,
AND an Internet Tablet.  The
N800 has a large screen that could allow it to easily replace a Palm
with far greater capability.  This
is Nokia's chance to provide a true multifunction tool that could trump
existing PDA devices.

My apologies for the long post.
Regards,

Nick Shaw.