Gnumeric spreadsheet for N800

"ext Marius Gedminas" <marius at pov.lt> writes:

>> Can you say when it ran out of space?  During unpacking or during
>> configuring (i.e., during running postinst, etc)?
>
> During unpacking, IIRC.

Ok.  If it is a single package, then I wouldn't expect it to be
"broken" afterwards, it should just not be listed as installed.  With
multiple packages, however, things are more interesting...

> Heh, the "Installing" tab tells me gnumeric requires 32 megs of device
> memory.  I have 24 megs free.  It would be nice if the application
> manager checked the space requirement before installing.

Yes, we could do that, but the involved numbers are really imprecise.
They can be off by a factor of two or so, I'd say, in both directions.
The package usually doesn't tell you how much space it really will
take on a compressed file system like JFFS2, and a compressed
filesystem like JFFS2 doesn't tell you how space really is free.

>> Hmm.  Did you download the archive every time or do you "Install from
>> file"?
>
> I clicked on the name in the app manager (which probably means
> "dowloaded it every time", unless there's some download cache that persists
> during pseudo-reboots that happen while the charger is plugged in).

There is a download cache (the usual one in in
/var/cache/apt/archives/), but the Application Manager clears it after
every operation.  It could contain something when the device reboots
in the middle of an installation.

> Could it be that the file was truncated because there wasn't enough free
> space?  But wouldn't that cause a different error?

Yes, I would say so.