How to replace Dummy www page on N800?

Paul,

aah...thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten that the www server is
NOT a part of the Nokia OS.

It turns out that I had, in fact, installed a 3rd party www server,
known as nginx,  originated by Igor Sysoev. A version of that www server
was packaged for the Nokia 770/800 OS's  by Santtu Lakkala who is an
active contributor to maemo and the maemo-developers list. I have copied
him on this response.

Here is the url to a blog entry by Santtu that provides an installer
file fo nginx.

    http://inz.fi/blog/2007/01/26/nginx-http-server-and-install-files/

here is the url to the www site that has the generic (not Nokia
specific) LInux .tar

    http://nginx.net/

here is the url to a www site called codemogers.com that has a wiki for
nginx.

    http://wiki.codemongers.com/

and here is  the nginx author, Igor's, www site where he maintains the
source and object code for nginx:

    http://sysoev.ru/en/

Since there is documentation at the wiki I will take a look there to see
how to locate the www site file tree in the N800 instance of nginx.

I should mention that there seems to be some consideration given, the
efficiency of nginx for static www pages, to using ngnix as a foundation
www server for Ruby on Rails development projects. Here is the url to a
discussion on that topic from someone who works with ROR

http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/26/hosting-ruby-on-rails-lighttpd-apache-mongrel-webrick-litespeed-and-ngnix/

and some commentary relating to nginx. Note in the post below that the
poster has misspelled (i.e. reversed the i and the x) the name of the
software, nginx. I suspect this is because people are used to the suffix
*nix and perhaps sometimes misread it as I did when I first saw the word.

            It's all about Russia, stupid

    And then, when everyone had already settled down with a nice,
    reliable and fast solution for serving Ruby, ngnix
    <http://sysoev.ru/nginx> comes into town. ngnix
    <http://sysoev.ru/nginx> is a wholly fast web server that serves
    static files in a breeze. And also does load-balancing. Got the
    point? Serving Mongrel instances through ngnix
    <http://sysoev.ru/nginx>. ngnix <http://sysoev.ru/nginx> is chiefly
    developed by russians and English documentation is still lacking so
    if you need assistance to get started check this post
    <http://www.brainspl.at/articles/2006/08/23/nginx-my-new-favorite-front-end-for-mongrel-cluster>.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks