[maemo-developers] Re: [maemo-users] 'Locking down' software installation

On Thursday 15 February 2007 08:10:07 Marius Vollmer wrote:
> "ext Andy Mulhearn" <unxmully at mac.com> writes:
> >> So are you looking to move away from the System Upgrade := reflash
> >> device model? If so, then GOOD!
> >
> > To be honest I prefer this route now, if only from the point of view
> > that if I bork my device I can reflash an image and get it working
> > again.
>
> I am not sure if there will always be flash image for each version of
> the meta package, but there will always be reasonably recent flash
> images so that upgrading from one to the latest 'patch level' should
> not be daunting.

That's reasonable IMHO ...  I mean on my laptop if I bork my Linux install
(Like the day my then 2 year old discovered the up arrow and just as he hit
return it was on rm -Rf *  ahhhhhhhhhh! )  I grab the latest CD I have and
then wade through the updates till I'm on the current version.  What I like
is that idea that a path is available.

If I understand correctly then there will be three possibles.

1.  Total bork re-flash then update.
2.  Partial bork re-install current meta pkg to replace corruptions (Running
but not running right) using for example apt-get --reinstall meta-pkg.deb
3.  New packages are out upgrade.

Advantage I see here big time is an easier way to run an unstable "branch" on
packages or ideas.

James