[maemo-developers] Re: [maemo-users] 'Locking down' software installation

On 2/15/07, Marius Vollmer <marius.vollmer at nokia.com> wrote:

> I grant you a brief peek into our internal software
> requirements... :-)
>
> 22.3.1.3: The Application manager shall suggest a backup to be taken
>            before a system update is installed.
>
> Rebooting and checking for enough free flash will also be taken care
> of.
>
> Yeah, we should be doing this kind of planning more in the open...

Would this just be for major updates--perhaps those than cause a change in
the firmware revision number--or would this be any time a "system" package
gets an upgrade?

My thought is that it might be worthwhile to have a constant warning written
at the bottom of the "Check for Updates" dialog in the Application manager.
A user should really backup before any update, but prompting with a dialog
that frequently will only encourage users to ignore it. Major updates should
definitely come with a dialog, and as this occurs less frequently perhaps
people might actually read it and heed the warning ;)

The trade off, I suppose, is such a constant warning will take up screen
real estate. My $0.02

--Paul