[maemo-users] Re: Bricked a third time

Paul Klapperich wrote:
> On 2/13/07, *Frantisek Dufka* <dufkaf at seznam.cz
> <mailto:dufkaf at seznam.cz>> wrote:

>     Yes it was similar except /usr/local was /var/lib/install. And it was
>     done in such way that no package could ever put file outside of
>     /var/lib/install (the only way that gives you some additional security
>     you probably want).
>
>     So you had 2 classes of packages (system ones in / and user ones in
>     /var/lib/install) which made system more complex and prevented you from
>     making 'system' packages i.e. ones which modifes or extends the system
>     in interesting way.
>

> As an example,  privoxy wouldn't work (can't edit init scripts to make
> auto start) nor would openssh, dropbear, or becomeroot. This packages
> all require root--for good reason.

Yes, and the Application Manager (by looking at the packages flags
somehow) could tell if this is a system app (and thus ask the User to
enter somekind of passphrase) or a user app (thus installing it with no
hassle). Asking the User for a kind of passphrase will give Application
Manager root privileges and thus dpkg could be ran as root and those
apps would install as usual and do their (good) job.

> Debian systems always require root to run dpkg and apt. I think it would
> be unwise for this platform to customize those tools simply because it
> has flash memory instead of a hard disk. Call it an embedded platform,
> but it's a hand-held computer.

AFAIK dpkg has an option (--force-non-root) that tells it to "Try to
(de)install things even when not root". Thus there will be no
customization for these tools. Everything would be transparent.

I still don't understand why this cannot be done in an easy way from the
maemo team.

--
anidel