[maemo-users] Re: Bricked a third time

Frantisek Dufka wrote:
 > Aniello Del Sorbo wrote:
 >> On the tablet you just install apps. Why should the installer need
to be root to do so?
 >> A properly configured device (as it should have been) should NEVER
ask for root permissions.
 >> All programs just copy their own executables and write their own
configuration in a file. It can be made in a user writable directory
(perhaps in the memory card too [see below]).
 >> Same holds for libraries.
 >>
 >> I can think of very few .debs (if any) that need to be installed by
root on a tablet.

 > What you are describing looks like the sandbox in /var/lib/install
used in IT2005 for all packages. It crippled device extensibility a lot
and was a true PITA. I'd never go back.

I do not know how it was done on the IT2005. Why did it crippled the
device extensibility ?

(/var/lib/install looks like an odd place)

I mean, if my apps need to be called as "helloworld" and it looks at a
conf file called "helloword.conf", why I have to copy the executable in
/usr/bin and the conf file in /etc while I can just copy it to
/usr/local/bin (owned or writable by 'user) and the conf file in
/usr/local/etc  ? (just to give an example) and add /usr/local/bin to
the path?

When the apps is build for Maemo you just need to pass
--prefix=/usr/local to the ./configure command and the app should know
where to look for the conf file.

I don't see why it should limit somehow the exensibility of the device.

Could you be more clear on that?
Thanks

--
anidel