[maemo-users] Re: Two power management settings

Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 2/11/07, Neil MacLeod <gmane at nmacleod.com> wrote:
>> I've asked for two separate AC and Battery settings, plus independent
>> brightness settings for AC and Battery. I also mentioned adding
>> support for screensavers which should probably only kick in the device
>> is on AC power.
>
> I wonder if the hardware is smart enough to directly run off from the
> wall power while the unit is plugged in and not to channel the power
> through the batteries. You don't want the use of the device as a
> desktop clock to harm the batteries.

No idea, but wouldn't it make more sense for the device to always run off battery, and if the AC is connected the AC only trickle charges the battery while the device itself continues to take power only from the battery. I would have thought this would simplify the power management design side of things as the device is always taking it's juice from the battery and doesn't have to worry about taking power from the AC.

That said, the device should still "know" when AC is available and it's behaviour should be modified to suit the unlimited power available when AC is connected (even if power for the device is delivered via the battery).

I also don't think it's possible to overcharge Li-Ion batteries these days (unless they're made by Sony). :)