[maemo-users] Two power management settings (was: FM Radio - suggestions)

On 2/10/07, Neil MacLeod <gmane at nmacleod.com> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Is the N800 smart enough to know when it is on AC and not blank the
> > display? The N770 didn't appear to have this feature. The clock could
> > be set as a screen saver when on AC power.
> >

> I think it's a mistake that there is only one set of power management timeouts - there should be separate timeouts for battery and AC power.
>
> With two power management settings you would specify much longer dim and blanking screen timeout values (perhaps even infinite) when the device is on AC power, but specify short values (perhaps 2 and 5 minutes) when on battery power.

There is a significant application area being missed by not having two
power settings. When you get to your desk and plug the device in it
should, if you configure it to, leave the screen on and run a screen
saver type application. This screen saver could work as a clock, music
player with album art, show pictures of the kids, show your calendar,
etc, etc. This passive behavior should be automatic as soon as the
device is plugged into AC.

This application area is what chumby, www.chumby.com, is all about.
The N770/N800 can be useful on the desk as well as on the go.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com