[maemo-users] bug #978: metalayer-crawler

Hi,

ext Gary Mulder wrote:
>> > Here's the output from your script:
>> >
>> > ./numfiles.sh: ./numfiles.sh: 24: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
>> > ..
>> > ./numfiles.sh: ./numfiles.sh: 24: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
>> >      1 24
>> >      7 MP3
>> >   1325 _notype
>>
>> This is interesting, there are over thousand files without any
>> filename extension (or I botched my script).  What files those
>> are?  :-)
>
> Nokia-N800-51:/media/mmc2# find . -type f | wc -l
>    418
> Nokia-N800-51:/media/mmc2# find . -type d | wc -l
>     42

Oh, so I botched my script...  But most of those files are mp3:
	find . -name '*.mp3'|wc -l
?

>> > I reconfirmed last night that Media Player is taking 5+ minutes to
>> > start up. The GUI kept on telling me it was not responding and did I
>> > want to kill it. I didn't, and eventually the Player behaved as
>> > expected.
>>
>> This was with or without nicing the crawler (in its init script)?
>
> This was prior to nicing the crawler.

Ok, nicing should fix that particular problem I think.
Could you verify that?

>> > 2. Powered on the unit, immediately run Media Player while the crawler
>> > was running. Unit reset.
>>
>> Device rebooted?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Could you check how much RAM crawler takes at most while it indexes
>> that card?  Just start Xterm, run "top" in it and then take the card
>> out and and put it back again and see what's the largest RSS value for
>> the crawler process (if you press 'M' in keyboard, top sorts by memory
>> usage)...
>
> I assume it is fine to remove and insert the internal SD card while
> the unit is on?

It's better to use external one for this kind of testing.

> I did so, but didn't see the crawler kick in. I
> therefore did a "/etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 restart", but this
> didn't seem to do much either. In any event:
>
>  PID USER     STATUS   RSS  PPID %CPU %MEM COMMAND
>  2094 user     S N     2896   329  0.0  2.2 metalayer-crawl
>  2096 user     R N     2896  2094  0.0  2.2 metalayer-crawl
>
> Hmm, it looks like the SD card did not remount:
>
> Nokia-N800-51:~# umount /media/mmc2
> Nokia-N800-51:~# mount /media/mmc2
> mount: Can't find /media/mmc2 in /etc/fstab
> Nokia-N800-51:~# mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/mmc2
> mount: Mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmc2 failed: No such file or
> directory
> Nokia-N800-51:~# ls -l /dev/mmcblk0p1
> ls: /dev/mmcblk0p1: No such file or directory
>
> Where did my SD card go? :-)

Hm.  Maybe the internal one is mounted only on bootup?

>> > Is there a file that the crawler generates that I can look at?
>>
>> Do:
>>    strings /home/user/.meta_storage > meta.txt
>>
>> and read the meta.txt.  I don't know whether the player uses that
>> database directly or communicates with the crawler instead though.
>
> I don't have strings. Grrr.

You can copy the whole .meta_storage onto PC and then use strings
there.  Not sure whether Windows has this utility though.

>> > I'll install fsck on the unit.
>>
>> You can do fsck the card FAT on the you Linux PC (or on Windows).
>
> Done under XP, no errors.

Ok, I guess the reason for 5 mins is the large number of mp3s.
I hope one doesn't need to wait all 5 mins until any of them
appear in the Media player, because then it's a very bad
performance problem, otherwise it's not so serious.

	- Eero