[maemo-users] bug #978: metalayer-crawler

Hi,

ext Gary Mulder wrote:
> First off, thanks for such a wonderful device and developer community.
> I have had my N800 for 5 days and have been loving every minute of
> playing with it.
>
> Can metalayer-crawler be niced so as to not impact performance of the
> system?

In the /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0, as root replace line:
     dsmetool -f "$DAEMON -F" -U $USER
with something like:
     dsmetool -n 19 -f "$DAEMON -F" -U $USER
and then run:
   /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 stop
   /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 start
This should be fairly safe change as dsmetool will just stop
restarting crawler if it will obstinately refuse to start. :-)

 > I just loaded a 2GB SD card full of music and the entire
 > system was unresponsive for around 5 minutes.

Yikes... Could you verify this with a stopwatch (when you're waiting
for something, the timespan may feel longer)?

I would be interested how many and of what types of files you have
on your device.  Could you run script like at the bottom on your
MMC (on device this would be "./filetypes.sh /media/mmc1/") and
mail the results?

	- Eero
---------
#!/bin/sh
# count how many files of each type are on the device.
# the filenames are saved under each type into "file-type" dir.
if [ $# -ne 1 ]; then
         echo "usage: $0 <dir>"
         echo "counts how many files and of what type are under given dir"
         exit 1
fi
dir=$1
if [ \! -d $dir ]; then