[maemo-users] Re: New OS 2006 firmware released

>I use Opera on the 770 and N800, mainly because Minimo is so far
>from being finished.
>
>While Minimo works great with many sites, and is actually better on
>some sites than Opera, Minimo is nowhere near a finished product and
>is not usable as a "production" quality browser.

I'd agree with that except IMHO Opera on the 770 is not production
quality either.  Hence my gripe about marketing an Internet tablet
which does not have a decent web browser.

It would be nice if they at least let Opera offer upgrades for it.  I
contacted Opera a few months ago about the issues in their browser
and they said that they cannot / will not release upgrades as it is
all tied up in the agreement with Nokia.  Kind of annoying as they do
release upgrades etc for windows (which is not open source of course).

The last version of Minimo I tried crashed less often than
Opera.  Both do a reasonable job or rendering the web pages so they
are readable/usable.  Last time I checked Minimo couldn't use the
zoom / full screen hardware buttons (I know that was being worked on)
and didn't have flash.  Minimo does have better support for DHTML /
XML / XSLT etc.  Minimo can be slow to load.

Try the Adobe website in opera on the 770, is it not the slowest
thing in the universe.....  I wonder whether the issue is that opera
is trying to redesign the page to fit better on a small screen,
however given the resolution of the 770 they should just not bother
and perhaps it would go faster?

Our first 800 has arrived, which we will no doubt be testing in the
near future.

Regards
Simon