[maemo-users] [maemo-announce] New OS 2006 firmware released

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 09:10:19 Gavin O' Gorman wrote:
> On 1/30/07, Karl Bellve <Karl.Bellve at umassmed.edu> wrote:
> > Personally, I wish Nokia would have went with thunderbird and firefox
> > that could be improved by the outside community. Instead, they went with
> > buggy pieces of proprietary code that Nokia can't seem to fix on its own.
> >
> > My other big complaint is that the entire device has to be reflashed in
> > order to run the new version of the OS. Why can't they update different
> > pieces, like the browser, or the kernel? Since the browser and flash
> > player hasn't been updated, I don't think I will update my Nokia 770.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly with these points ! I would extend them further
> to ask why the 770 OS cannot be as open as a standard debian
> distribution.
>
> That is, comprised of a standard kernel that gets the device up and
> running, with proprietary drivers available as binary .debs. All the
> various applications distributed and installable as seperate .debs.
> This way unwanted applications can be removed, for example, the
> ridiculous email client etc. Kernels should be upgradable with a
> simple apt-get, the package management mess should be cleaned up and
> fixed.

Gavin I agree and IMHO a lot of the problem seems to come from the fact that
the developers where and are largely highly capable phone developers.  It's a
different mind set as you have noted.  Now the question comes how can we
encourage Nokia to leverage the tools they have available via Debian.

I'm reminded that I recently talked with a friend of mine (Windows developer
moved to Linux) who spent a month creating a boot loader for a micro Linux.
I've not the heart to show him all the ones that already exist.

James