[maemo-users] Re: N800: virtual memory

On 1/29/07, Danny Milosavljevic <danny_milo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:06:42 -0500, Larry Battraw wrote:
> > From my limited experience, VM helps when you're opening several
> > applications/windows, particularly web pages.  Without out it things
> > may start disappearing when you run low on memory as you might expect.
> >  It's definitely much better than the 770 without VM, but I don't see
> > a reason to avoid VM in the first place.
>
> How good is wear leveling on the SD cards?
> Does it pose a problem when using it for swap? (after all, the swap would be on a limited, fixed are of the card, and would be updated rather often)

 SD and CF cards all do automatic wear-leveling, regardless of what
files are being used for any particular logical sectors of the card.
It's invisible from the OS level and is somewhat similar to the way
that hard drives transparently remap bad sectors from a reserve of
spares.  The only cards I know of that don't are microSD (TransFlash),
and SmartMedia.  In those cases software or the chipset for the
interface may need to take care of it.

Larry