[maemo-users] application catalog reviews

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 02:46:56PM +0200, Ferenc Szekely wrote:
> Dear maemo users,
>
> We are a step closer to officially announce the new Application Catalog:
> http://test.maemo.org/applications/

Very nice.  Screenshots in the application list is probably going to be
wishlist feature #1.

The meanings of the coloured strips are not easy to remember.  How about
displaying an emblem next to the "install" arrow: a coloured rectangle
with a white number "2006"/"2007"/"2005" inside.  The colour of the
rectangle should match the colour of the strip.  Something like this:
http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-app-catalog-mockup.png

On second thought maybe "OS 2006" inside the rectangle would be clearer.

> While we are reviewing the catalog at Nokia I would like to ask you to
> help us with the reviews. I have written a manual and would like to
> collect feedback from you:
> http://test.maemo.org/applications/user-manual

One important question is not covered in the user manual: what do I do
if my application is available for multiple OS versions?  Do I need to
create three entries, with different project IDs?

Actually, a single .install file can work for multiple OS versions.
Well, for both OS2006.2 and 2007 at least, if you use the same package
name but different repositories.  In that case it would make sense to
show only one entry for the application, and show all supported OS
version emblems next to the install arrow.  I don't know what to do with
the coloured strip on the left -- choose the colour of the oldest or the
newest version, or drop color-coding of the strip and leave just
emblems?

Marius Gedminas
--
If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.
                -- Norm Schryer