[maemo-users] A scary story with a happy ending

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 11:19:12AM +0200, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> ext Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >  $ rm filename
> >  rm: filename: No space left on device
>
> Normal user shouldn't be able to fill the device rootfs this full,
> only root should be able to do that.  And Application installer
> (which runs dpkg as root) should handle the case of installed
> package not fitting on the device.

The package (bomberman from garage) was unpacked successfully, then ran
out of disk space in the configuration phase.  I've saved the log:

  osso-application-installer 4.22, UI version 1
  /usr/bin/dpkg-deb -f '/media/mmc1/bomberman_0.98_armel.deb'
  /usr/bin/dpkg --install '/media/mmc1/bomberman_0.98_armel.deb'
  Selecting previously deselected package bomberman.
  (Reading database ... 12546 files and directories currently installed.)
  Unpacking bomberman (from .../mmc1/bomberman_0.98_armel.deb) ...
  Setting up bomberman (0.98) ...
  Cache file created successfully.

  dpkg: error processing bomberman (--install):
   unable to flush updated status of `bomberman': No space left on device
  dpkg: failed to open `/var/lib/dpkg/status' for writing status information: No space left on device
  /usr/bin/dpkg --purge `/usr/bin/dpkg-deb -f '/media/mmc1/bomberman_0.98_armel.deb' Package`
  dpkg: unable to open/create status database lockfile: No space left on device
  apt-worker: Can't remove /var/lib/dpkg/lock: No space left on device
  E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (28 No space left on device)
  E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
  apt-worker: Can't remove /var/lib/dpkg/lock: No space left on device
  E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (28 No space left on device)
  E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

I hope that's useful.

> It's possible that the packager
> has botched the package and it creates at installation files that
> won't be removed when the package install is canceled.  This is the
> worst bug a package can have on a devices with limited disk space,
> on par with making Desktop to continuously crash.
>
> Had you any extra packages installed which might be running as root
> and e.g. logging things onto Flash?

No.  The only log file in /var/log was fontconfig.log.

> There's no free space until files been both removed *and* garbage
> collected by JFFS2.  Some N770 users have also encountered the problem
> where the device enters reboot loop because the garbage collection
> on the device bootup triggers the device HW watchdog.

I do not remember this reboot taking longer than usual.

> If you encounter this again, I would recommend backing up any important
> information before reboot if you can, just in case.  (besides reporting
> it here...)

Yep, that's what I did.

A bit of a shame that tar in the 770 does not support pathnames longer
than 100 characters.  But those few files that could not be tar-ed up in
my ~ were unimportant.

Marius Gedminas
--
As easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716