[maemo-users] A scary story with a happy ending

Marius Gedminas wrote:

>   $ rm filename
>   rm: filename: No space left on device

Yes, this one is very funny. I noticed this when playing with initfs too.

> Moral:
>
>   * don't fill up your flash, or you'll be sorry
>   * I need more disk space, as usual
>   * the user interface was unresponsive because the 770 was very busy
>     writing to flash (or running the garbage collector), not because it
>     was out of disk space

Moral:

* install bootmenu [1],[2] and boot from mmc

This will solve all those problems plus few others - easy complete
backup, easy recovery from reboot loop when something goes wrong, lower
cpu usage, much faster (especially with mmcplus card and high speed
patches). You can use internal flash to keep reference stable system for
emergency or when you need to remove the card.

Frantisek

1. http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#initfs
2. http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_GetStartedWithSardine (except the
sardine part if you don't feel so)