[maemo-users] Building ARMEL packages, maemo 2.1 and debian directory

On 1/11/07, Michael Stepanov <michael at stepanoff.org> wrote:

> When I try to build ARMEL package from debian sources I get the error
> that directory debian cannot be found by dpkg-packagebuilder. I applied
> patches and directory debian is inside of library directory. Here is an
> output for http_fetcher- 1.0.1, for example:
[snip]

> Name "main::DEBIAN_DIR" used only once: possible typo at /usr/bin/dh_testdir
> line 37.
> /usr/bin/dh_testdir line 37.
> dh_testdir: "/control" not found. Are you sure you are in the correct
> directory?
> make: *** [clean] Error 1
>
>  I tried to do export DEBIAN_DIR=debian but without luck.
>
> Any suggestions how to resolve this?

Sounds like a bug in dh_testdir, possibly related to the fact that
libhttpfetcher is no longer in Debian:

    http://packages.qa.debian.org/libh/libhttpfetcher.html

Perhaps the source package is out of date compared with the version of
the dpkg tools in Maemo (which is closer to `etch' AFAICT)? Is
`apt-get update/upgrade' up-to-date in your Scratchbox?

Does it happen for other packages?

You may also be interested in `mud' (Maemo Unofficial Debs) it's an
auto-builder I've started to make it easier porting stuff from
upstream sources (e.g. Debian):

    http://mud-builder.garage.maemo.org/

Any thoughts would be most welcome: it's still at an early stage so
now's the time to say ;-)

For example, the package file necessary to build libhttpfetcher was:

    libhttpfetcher.xml:
        <package>
            <fetch type="debian">
                <name>libhttpfetcher1</name>
                <deb-src>http://ftp.debian.org/ stable main</deb-src>
             </fetch>
         </package>

The "name" and "deb-src" lines default to the filename and etch if
missing. This has successfully built a deb on my Scratchbox install:

    14672 Jan 11 13:54 upload/libhttpfetcher-dev_1.0.1-3_i386.deb
     7732 Jan 11 13:54 upload/libhttpfetcher1_1.0.1-3_i386.deb

Note that the auto-Maemoification has yet to be done, such as
prefixing the "Section" in debian/control with "user/". This woudwould
be turned off for these packages anyway, I suspect.

I've checked it in so you can try it yourself you like; source is in
Subversion at the Garage:

    https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=63

Hope that helps,

Andrew