[maemo-users] broken application manager

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 11:26, Peter Deitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need some help resurrecting the Application Manager on my Nokia 770.
>
> I got my 770 about two weeks ago, and have had a lot of fun downloading and
> installing new applications.  With DejaPim, Canola, and Gizmo, my Nokia 770
> has become an amazing little device.
>
> Then I went to uninstall an application and that's when the problems began.
>

> My Application Manager is useless now... it shows no applications as having
> been installed and can't refresh any of the application catalogues I
> configured.
>
> In the Application Manager log, I see this error message:
> -------
> osso-application-installer 4.22, UI version 1
> E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
> E: Error occurred while processing osso-games-startup (NewVersion1)
> E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> -------
>
> Frankly, I have no idea how to fix this problem.  Do I need to reinstall
> OS/2006?  Or is there a way to restore only the application manager?
>
> Please advice as I would like to get back to having fun with my Nokia 770
> as soon as possible.
>
> Thanks from Montreal,
> Peter

Ok,

   Since the 770 runs debian the debian way to fix this should work.

become root via in xterm

cd /var/lib/dpkg

there you should find 2 files status and status-old.  cp status to
status.nogood (or some such name) cp status-old to status  and then run
dpkg -l

you should see a long list of files come back, basically everything installed
on the 770.  This normally works and will most likely be minus the last item
you installed.  (since each time you install status is written to status-old
then updated) if this works (and it has for me on full debian systems) remove
the status.nogood file

James