[maemo-users] Re: Connect to WLAN from command line

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 09:57:00AM +1100, Pigeon wrote:
>     I had to do something similiar. However iwconfig simply won't work
> properly for some reason, I asked around a while ago:
>
>     http://www.mail-archive.com/maemo-users at maemo.org/msg01896.html
>

>     Anyway, I figured a working but dodgy way to get it working.
>
>     Firstly you have to setup the wireless connection at the usual GUI
> configuration. Make sure this works.
>
>     Then I have a script that runs:
>
>     dbus-send --type=method_call --system --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:${IAP} uint32:0
>
>     where $IAP is the identifier (name) of the wireless connection you've
> setup in the GUI config.
>
>     What's even worse is, I have to run that command line every 5
> seconds or so (I put it in the script in a while loop to run that and
> then sleep 5), as the connection daemon seems to disconnect
> automatically. I think it disconnects if there's no application using
> the N770 framework/lib to make network connections. So if I have some
> custom software that uses the network it won't help either.

Do you know how to use /usr/bin/connectivity_preload.sh on the 770?  See
http://maemo.org/platform/docs/howtos/howto_connectivity_guide.html
for more information.

I've written a small shell script that wraps ssh and automatically
brings up the WLAN if it isn't on already.  Maemo keeps the connection
up as long as my ssh session is active.  (Of course it only works for
sessions from the 770 to some remote server.  It would be cool if
ssh my-nokia brought its wifi up, but there's a chicken-and-egg problem
here.)

Marius Gedminas
--
Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  Who knows?  Who cares?