[maemo-users] Connect to WLAN from command line

On 12/28/06, Kahlil Johnson <jzarecta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Download the iwconfig packages, once you got them you will have the
> iwconfig iwspy iwlist etc. Look for a howto to use it. Remember first to
> ifup wlan0.
>
> iwlist will give you the broadcast AP, but if you want to put one manually
> you should use
>
> iwconfig wlan0 ssid "XYZ" key 1011010101AB

Well, I installed wireless tools package and tried to use it:

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 enc MY_KEY mode managed essid MY_ESSID channel 6

But I didn't see that IP address was assigned to wlan0 interface. Moreover,
I add into /etc/network/interfaces following:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid MY_ESSID
wireless-key MY_KEY