[maemo-users] how to install .deb packages

On 12/31/06, Kahlil Johnson <jzarecta at gmail.com> wrote:
> you need to install XTerm on your nokia770 and also dropbear (smaller
> SSH) and login remotely to your n770 over the wifi network.
>
> On 12/31/06, william hatch <billhatch40 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the response. Now how do I get to the command prompt on the 770 ?
> > I do have the latest OS update installed.
> >
> > Kahlil Johnson <jzarecta at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  well you can look on the repository for dpkg or apt-get, the wiki has
> > an howto get sources in mameo's apt-get.
> >
> > http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_InstallAptGet?highlight=%28apt-get%29
> >
> > On 12/30/06, william hatch wrote:
> > > I have been unable to find any instructions on how to install on the nokia
> > > 770 any of the .deb application packages. I need to install a sufficient
> > set
> > > to work with the LD-3W GPS Module.

Hold on a moment ... if the OP is just interested in installing
something like maemo-mapper to using their BT GPS module than you
certainly don't need xterm or apt-get. There are three ways to install
deb files without resorting to the command-line:
1. While downloading the file via the web browser, choose Open rather than Save.
2. If you have a deb saved on your 770 somewhere, just double-tap it
in the file manager.
3. You can open the Application manager and choose Package -> Install
from file ... from the pop-down menu in the title bar

However, the best way to install apps on the 770 is not directly via
the deb files but rather to set up the application catalogs (aka
repositories) (via the Tools -> Application catalogue ... menu) that
contain the applications you want and then install the new app them
via the Install new applications button in the manager. This will
ensure that all the correct dependencies are satisfied and it is
simple to upgrade if a new version comes out. Unfortunately, some of
the more popular apps and libraries are not in the repositories
included in the 770 by default so a bit of work is needed initially to
add the repos you need ... then it is simple to install/delete apps as
needed.