[maemo-users] How does the device-self-reset work?

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 12:54:07PM +0100, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> because I've stability problems from time to time I wrote a small C
> application which does nothing more than allocating some memory and
> using it (and checks wether values are correct). If I run it with a
> 45mb int-array everything is very slow but it works, with a 75mb
> int-array (yeah, I want to heavily swap *gg*) it crashes very
> frequently even with 64mb swap.
>
> I wonder wether the self-reset jumps in here because it thinks the
> device died somehow? Is this possible?

Does the device reboot, or is it just your app that crashes?

If it is just the app, then the answer to your question is "No".

Check dmesg, you may find that the kernel decided the device ran out of
memory and killed your process.

If the device reboots, check /proc/bootreason and /var/lib/dsme/*
See http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ReportingRebootIssues

> And if yes, is there a way to disable this check?

You can disable the lifeguard.  You cannot disable the OOM killer, and I
do not think you can disable the software watchdog.

Marius Gedminas
--
The rest of the world will have to be educated by Microsoft's paperclip
or the DancingGnu (a still to be written Emacs AI tutor for beginning