[maemo-users] Operation failed

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 04:28:47PM +0100, I?igo Ill?n wrote:
> I have upgraded my Nokia 770 to the latest flash and since Application
> Manager has been giving me a Operation failed error when I open the
> program or when I try to upgrade the package list. The logs gives the
> following output:
>
> osso-application-installer 4.22, UI version 1
> E: Problem parsing Provides line
> E: Error occurred while processing osso-theme-default (NewVersion1)
> E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>
> Can anyone figure out what can be happening?

It seems that your /var/lib/dpkg/status file is corrupt.  Perhaps if you
posted it somewhere online someone might hazard a guess as to what
happened.

Fortunately, dpkg keeps a backup in /var/lib/dpkg/status-old.  You can
cp it over the /var/lib/dpkg/status file and the application installer
shouldn't complain any more.

Did you get this error the first time you ran the app installer after
reflashing, or did you try to install some package and got the error
afterwards?

Marius Gedminas
--
Where do you think you're going today?