[maemo-users] Re: US users of Nokia 770 - compatibility with....

I'm *very* grateful for the thoughtful and quick replies to my inquiry. I'll
comment and look forward to any other comments (and I do plan on giving this
a try with the 770, as I had success with the 770 via bluetooth to an old
Sony-Ericsson T68m from T-Mobile, but alas that was just GPRS which is way
slower than EVDO.)

>as I understand from commentary on various discussion lists, Verizon
>does not like its users to use their mobile handsets as a modem
>(so-called "tethering")  to reach Verizon's EVDO service. Sprint on the
>other hand seems to be more flexible in this respect.

They are indeed pretty rigid in that they want you to pay for the service no
matter what, but there are data service options now that legitimize this
mode. It is expensive, but Verizon has good coverage in the areas I use, so
I'm staying there.

>Here is the url to information about how to enable DUN on the XV6700:
>

>http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6700-xv6700/64889-bluetooth-dun-tethering-solution-verizon-xv6700-codes-method.html

My wish was to stick with a regular phone form-factor in lieu of a PDA,
because of the size issues (the 770 itself is large enough that I only want
it for real web browsing, and the phone itself would therefore be best if
it's quite small.)

###

Thanks very much again for your input!

Dave