[maemo-users] New user woes

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 11:26:32AM -0500, Willie McKemie wrote:
> I haven't had much time to sit down and play with my 770, so all the
> questions below are still outstanding.  Though I've resolved to flash
> to the new image.  When time allows.

If by "new image" you mean OS2006, then do it, you won't be sorry.

> Someone asked about installing packages; I've been downloading to an
> internet connected computer, then copying via USB over to the 770's
> RSMMC card, then installing from the memory card.  Is that a reasonable
> or best way?  If I ever get to the point where I can SSH into my 770,
> then it might be more convenient to download directly to the 770.

On OS2006 the most convenient way is to use the application manager.

Brief intro: go to http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog2006 or
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationRepositories, pick the
repositories you're interested in, add them to the application manager's
catalog list (copy & paste is useful here), and then you can download &
install the packages (with all their dependencies) with a single mouse
click.  Err.  With a single tap.  Three taps (there's a warning message
about how 3rd party software can break your device yada yada yada).

Brief intro about getting SSH (there's more than one way to do it; this
is mine): add the http://repository.maemo.org and http://mg.pov.lt/770
repositories, install becomeroot and xterm, then in an xterm do 'sudo
su' followed by 'apt-get install ssh'.  Lock the root account ('passwd
-l root') or change its password (the default is 'rootme').  Either
create a /home/user/.ssh/authorized_keys file if you want to use pubkey
auth, or set a password for the 'user' account.  That's it.  Well, I
also like to edit /etc/sudoers and add a

  user ALL=(ALL) ALL

line (the becomeroot package adds a 'user ALL=(ALL) /bin/su' line only).

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.