[maemo-users] Swap on mmc after six or more months

On Tue, 2006-20-06 at 18:39 +0200, Armin M. Warda wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> I added a modified 'CPU/Mem/Screenshot applet with swapon/off' to the
> ITOS2006 Maemo Application Catalog
> http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog2006
>
> Again I modified Jakub's original version of the CPU/Mem/Screenshot
> applet to include swapon/off. This is useful for those of us who
> prefer to continue to have their swap in a dedicated partition on the
> MMC, e.g. '/dev/mmcblk0p2'.
>
> Default now with ITOS2006 is to have a swap file '/media/mmc1/.swap',
> which is within the filesystem in '/dev/mmcblk0p1'. You do not need
> the modified applet if you are happy with the new default swap file
> in ITOS2006!
>
> There are pros and cons with swap files versus swap partitions. For

Do you know if there are any performance gains with swap on a dedicated
linux swap partition instead of a file on a vfat partition?

> example ITOS2006 automagically swapoffs the swap file if the
> filesystems gets umounted when you connect the device via USB to the
> PC (and automagically swapons after the USB disconnect caused to
> mount '/media/mmc1' again).
> On the other hand, a swap partition
> simply can remain active in this situation, it is not affected by USB
> handling. The downside of swap partition versus swap file comes with
> phyiscal MMC ejection: With a swap partition you have to manually
> swapoff via the applet before you eject the card (and manually swapon
> again after MMC insertion), while ITOS2006 somehow automagically
> swapoffs the swap file before ejection (and swapons after MMC
> insertion).

If it does this we should be able to find out where it hooks into the
system and just get it to swapoff with the partition as well.

What is the memory consumption when running the applet all the time?
I see this as a bit of a downside to the applet.  Maybe it's not
important????