[maemo-users] MMC partitions w/ ITOS2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 22:28, ext Adrian Neumaier wrote:
> Am Montag, 12. Juni 2006 21:22 schrieb Armin M. Warda:
> > On Monday 12 June 2006 17:24, Kimmo H?m?l?inen wrote:
> > > [...] There are of
> > > course some obvious problems with a separate partition. (Some of
> > > the complications could be difficult to understand by a non-geek
> > > user.)
> >
> > I suspect there might be some geek users on this list...
> > Please explain, what are the obvious problems with a
> > separate partition? Thanks!
>
> I second that, i would like to know that too. I can't figure one, apart from
> swapoff the partition before removing the card.

There are some issues caused by partition vs. file concept. For example,
removing and creating a file is simpler and safer than repartitioning.
The non-geek user would need to understand the concept of partitions:

- the swap partition is not usable in any other device the user has
(non-geeks often don't use Linux)

- the swap partition will look funny in Windows Explorer (maybe the user
reformats it there and stores files there, then wonders why they are not
shown in the Nokia 770).

- other devices, such as Nokia mobile phones would not probably support
repartitioning the memory card. (Even Windows does not make very easy.)

I cannot think more right now (I have other things to do, as well). But
if you can think of _so_ many benefits that this swap partition brings
to the user, I'll reconsider in future products :)

BR; Kimmo