[maemo-users] Presentation to Local LUG

On 5/23/06, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 02:53:22PM -0400, Jeremy Mcnicoll wrote:
> > I am cross posting this on purpose, because I want as much feedback /
> ideas
> > as I can get.
> >
> > I am doing a presentation to a local LUG that I am a regular member and
> > contributor (http://www.oclug.on.ca).  The topic for this month (June
> 6/06)
> > is you guessed it the N770, by guess who.  ME!
> >
> > So what I was hoping for is input from you guys.  What sorts of things
> would
> > people out there recomend that I talk about?
> >
> > Right now the talk is planned to cover the following:
> > -High level view of what the device is.
> > -Developement environement
> > -overall description of what the device is, and how it functions
> > -What applications are available.
> > -Simple demo.
>
> It seems to me that applications and demo are the most interesting part.
>
> A couple of interesting applications you could show:
>
>   - FBReader for e-books (get free (legal) ebooks from
>     http://www.baen.com/library/)

Great thanks. I  never knew about this place.  I should try it out.

  - Maemo Mapper (optionally with a bluetooth GPS, which of course won't
>     work indoors)

I have been looking to get a bluetooth gps, but I have not been able to find
one yet.  Any suggestions?

> This has to be about an hour in length and there is a range of backgrounds
> > attending.  Though most of them are hard core geeks. ;-)
>
> Hard core geeks you say?  How about showing an SSH server on the device,
> or demoing the mounting of NFS shares.  Or how vim works with the
> on-screen keyboard in an xterm.  Or how to repackage a debian package
> from the Debian ARM port so that it is installable with the Application
> Installer.

All great ideas. Thanks again.  I will add it in.  As well I will post my
slides so everyone especially you ;-) can benefit from them.

Cheers,