[maemo-users] Reflashing my Nokia 770

> After the restore, all my data were OK, but I've lost all the application
> installed.

It's possible to accomplish this by extending your root filesystem onto
your rs-mmc memory card.  It's a fairly extensive hack, but it's also
well-developed and there's a script available to automate the most
difficult parts.

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ExtendedRootFilesystem

I'd have to agree with Jonathan, though, that a new flash image is a good
opportunity to clean house.  After the last flash upgrade, many folks who
migrated data using the backup tool reported stability problems, and
several applications stopped functioning until they were updated by the
maintainers.

Another way to minimize the pain of installing a lot of applications
through scripting.  The command "sudo -u install app-installer-tool
install /path/to/blah-2.1.arm.deb" will allow you to install an
application from the command line.  When I upgrade, I install xterm by
hand and then run a script that installs 24 packages in one go, plus fixes
up my .profile and such.

Mike