[maemo-users] does 'some-gnu-utils_0.1_arm.deb' really cause an installer hang?

At Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:01:49 +0200,
Armin M. Warda wrote:
> I just noticed, that 'NealWalfield' added to the Maemo Application
> Catalog Wiki entry for package 'some-gnu-utils_0.1_arm.deb' the
> following text:
>
>   Causes installer to hang with SE2005_3_2005_51_13 firmware!
>
> I did not notice such a problem with this package, and never heard
> about similiar problems before, with any firmware version.
>
> Can somebody confirm the problem or no-problem?
>
>   regards, Armin,
>
> P.S.: How can I find out how to contact 'NealWalfield', who added
> this to revision 535 of the Wiki?

On a 770 with a near fresh SE2005_3_2005_51_13 install, installing
some-gnu-utils caused the app installer to hang: the progress bar
simply moved back and forth for over 5 minutes.  Since the
app-installer runs in dialog mode, not only could it not be killed but
the menu system can't be activated.  I eventually had to take the
battery out to force the device to hard reset.  On reboot, the
app-installer reports some-gnu-utils as "broken" and refuses to remove
it.

I added the warning last night after the problem occured.  I'm willing
(and plan) to investigate further.

Thanks,
Neal